Saturday, March 14, 2009

Artist|Ruben Sanchez self-made money maker!!





So I love skateboards for the art work but I do respect the sport..(I tried..all i can do is ride) Anyway, I always wondered who was behind the great designs ..like who was the guy at home like.."ughh lets do this..(light bulb)..and this is the man..well one of them!.. His work is awesome..be looking forward to seeing and hearing alot about this fellow in the future.. ya digg!! check out his work here www.zoonchez.com

1) Who are you? Ruben Sanchez.

2) Where are you from? Madrid, Spain.

3) How did you get in to art? Through graffiti I guess.

4) What were you earliest influences? Mediterranean colors, poker card graphics, stained glass, flamenco.

5) What media do you work in? Computer graphics with illustrator, pen, spray, acrylics, collage…

6) What are you looking at now? The finals of the football Euro-Championships: Spain vs Germany.

7) How did you start doing skateboard graphics? Alai skateboards gave me the chance. I was working in a studio in Barcelona and I wanted to start as a freelance since I never arrived on time at the office, so my friends at Alai were one of my first clients, I began to produce the graphics for the decks and clothing, website, catalogues, etc.

8) What companies have you made work for? DC Shoes, Alife, Adio, Eastpak, Sony, Lego, Honda… and a lot of Spanish companies I’m sure you’ve never heard of. Some works I enjoy more than others but we all have to eat, right?

9) What do you do in addition to skate graphics? Graffiti, animation, paintings, web design, video editing, a lot of sketches etc.

10) What was the last project you finished? The artwork, merchandising and motion graphics for the new Alai video.

11) What are you starting? The image of a new skate/surf/snow online channel.

12) Do you remember your first board? Sure. A dog peeing on a tree.

13) Who’s got good graphics now? Pendleton always killed it, as well as Andy Mueller and Evan Hecox. Alex CastaƱeda. Sieben for Bueno. Jeremy Fish’s boards for  “The Unbelievers”.

14) Best board graphic ever? That 1989 Ray Underhill deck for Powell. I also loved a deck I had from Color Skateboards a lot in 1993 with a nice handmade graphic. With everslick, remember it?

Check out Ruben’s work at zoonchez.com

No comments:

Post a Comment